20.4.15

SQUARE EYES PART TWO



At the start of the year almost as some sort of self-promise, I aimed to read one book a month in addition to my weekly magazines. It was kind of a resolution - one that I knew I could actually maintain. I was constantly exposed to some really amazing titles that I would research and save for months in my endless Amazon basket.

At the end of last year, I took the plunge and for Christmas my Amazon basket was finally cleared on many of my desired reads that were recommended by friends, blogs and magazines.

If you are in need of a bit of me-time but never actively pursue it, now is your time to make that change. Every Sunday, at your desired time, make a hot cup of green tea, wrap up with your blanket and make it your mission to read one chapter- at least.
So, towards the end of last year, I suddenly felt the world of journalism pounding on the idea of feminism 2.0 (that I am all for), it bought with it a whole world of books that stood for empowering woman - a new wave of feminism for the modern world of entrepreneurial, techy, career driven women. I decided to put together a list that is still a work in progress of books to read to continue the momentum that I started towards the end of 2014.

Feel free to join me on my bookathon or wait up for my book reviews.
FYI I am in month 4 in and almost finished on book for.


So, I may be year too late for this hype, but if I am going to be completely honest, I was pretty disappointed by this book. I wasn't expecting magic or any sort of life changing experience, purely just a chilled, easy read with a few entertaining facts about the presenter turned London 'it' girl Alexa.

It took me around 3 days, journeys to and from work to read the book filled with far too many pictures and overly large text, that passers by may have thought I was slightly special or just lacked a certain degree of intellect. I should have left it at home...No worries though because I finally get Chung's story and I'm jealous alright! annnd I got a coffee table book to perk up my bed side. Gain!
If you are a fan of Alexa or mad on fashion it is for sure a must read, it's definitely a seen a blog hype, so get on that. 

After finishing 'it' rather speedily, I got on to a book I had been dying to read after mass emails received from Nasty Gal and major Instagram promotion. During my time at MyFlashTrash, Nasty Gal was a major competitor or mother brand to look up to, so to follow Sophia's story of success was as good as it gets. 

Whether you know about Sophia Amoruso's brand Nasty Gal or are even interested in that area, it still makes an entertaining and informative read, written in a pretty chilled and engaging way.


I may be completely over and quite frankly fed up by the word 'Girl Boss' but Sophia has achieved the impossible and is someone to look up to for any aspiring entrepreneurs or talented runaways who also started their career with theft! No Judging now.


 Next up is the HBO sensation Lena Dunham aka Hannah from the major US series Girls staring and co-directed by Ms Dunham herself. 

After so many magazines raving about the book written by the care-free, young spirited, natural and quirky writer I just had to see what the fuss was about. Annoyingly, this is now the third book about these powerful and independent women that seem to all have a very girly pink cover with hugeeee titles and that really doesn't excite me! On to the content, which is obviously more important, Lena tells her life stories divided into various areas of the growing up process for a young lady, including all the private parts no normal person would really want to disclose...need I say more?


Overall though, I am so glad I read the book and it got me even more excited about the new season of girls just to get a bit more of Hannah/Lena's awkward humour and life. I honestly couldn't put it down and hated it when I arrived at Old Street station because I never felt ready to stop. 


BOSSY PANTS | TINA FEY
Tina fey, known to most Americans for her role on Saturday Night Live, but everyone else remembers or  just give that little 'ohhh yeaaaah' when I remind them of her role in Mean Girls as the teacher miss Norbury but little do they know she wrote the screen play for Mean Girl and Freaky Friday. 

Her book Bossy Pants is comical autobiography written in the style Tina Fey knows best, sarcastic humour. It topped the New York Times best seller list and was a natural want after watching her host the Golden Globes. The book wasn't as easy to read as I thought and makes references to elements of Fey's career I was not familiar with but equally makes for an easy light-hearted read.

&
COMING SOON...

IF YOU HAVE TO CRY GO OUTSIDE | KELLY CUTRONE
GIRL IN A BAND | KIM GORDON
HAUS FRAU | JILL ESSBAUM
BETTER THAN BEFORE | GRETCHEN RUBIN
CHLOE SEVIGNY |  CHLOE SEVIGNY
CLOTHES, MUSIC, BOYS | VIV ALBERTINE
WILD | CHERYL STRAYED
   



No comments :

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts...